advocacy and activism
Isabella Khair Hadid is a Palestinian-Dutch-American model professionally known as Bella Hadid. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She was born in 1996 in Washington, D.C., United States to Palestinian real-estate developer Mohamed Anwar Hadid and Dutch former model Yolanda van den Herik Hadid. Born in Israel in 1948, Mohamed is a dual citizen of the U.S. and Jordan. Yolanda was born in the Netherlands in 1964 and became a U.S. citizen in 2013.
- She is Jelena Noura “Gigi” Hadid and Anwar Mohamed Gerard Hadid‘s sister. Gigi was born in 1995 while Anwar was born in 1999.
- She and her family lived in Santa Barbara, California, USA for 10 years before moving to Los Angeles, California.
- As a teenager, she competed in equitation.
- In 2012, she, Yolanda and Anwar were diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease. In the same year, she started modeling.
- In 2014, she moved to New York City, New York, USA and studied photography at the Parsons School of Design in Greenwich Village, Lower Manhattan, New York City. On July 22, 2014, she was arrested and charged with driving under the influence (DUI). On August 21, 2014, she signed to IMG Models. In December 2014, she graced the cover of Jalouse Magazine for the first time.
- In 2015, she walked for Tom Ford in Los Angeles and for Diane von Fürstenberg, Tommy Hilfiger, Jeremy Scott and Marc Jacobs in the New York Fashion Week and made her Chanel debut by walking for the luxury brand’s Métiers d’Art show in Rome, Italy. In the same year, she dated Canadian rapper Abel “The Weeknd” Makkonen Tesfaye.
- In 2016, she donated a pair of denim jeans to Johny Dar‘s Jeans for Refugees project, which raised money for the International Rescue Committee. She made her Chanel Couture debut in Paris, France in January 2016, walked for FentyxPuma in New York Fashion Week in February 2016, walked exclusively for Chanel, Givenchy and Miu Miu in Paris Fashion Week in March 2016 and made her first Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia appearance in May 2016. In September 2016, she won Model of the Year at the GQ Men of the Year Awards in London, England. In November 2016, she and The Weeknd broke up. In December 2016, Models.com named her Model of the Year.
- In 2017, she walked in Givenchy’s S/S 2017 Haute Couture segment during their F/W Menswear Fashion Show in Paris, starred in Alexandre Vauthier‘s F/W 2017 look book and walked for Vauthier, Miu Miu Resort, Maison Margiela and Fendi for the F/W 2017 Haute Coutre Week. In November 2017, she and The Weeknd reconciled. On December 8, 2017, she joined protests in London against Donald Trump‘s decision to move the U.S. embassy in Israel and recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
- In 2018, she helped make 500 meals delivered to the Bowery Mission shelter in New York City for Thanksgiving on behalf of System of Service, Hashtag Lunch Bag and Nike. She and The Weeknd fully rekindled their relationship in July 2018 and she moved into his condominium in New York City in October 2018.
- She attended the Bvlgari – B.ZERO1 XX Anniversary Global Launch Event at Auditorium Parco Della Musica in Rome on February 19, 2019 and the 72nd annual Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, France on May 15, 2019. He and The Weeknd broke up again in August 2019.
- In June 2020, she auctioned off her Miu Miu boots that raised funds for the National Health Service (NHS) Charities Together and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). In July 2020, she auctioned limited edition fashion item she created at home during lockdown amid the new coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and donated 100 percent of proceeds to initiatives that support the African-American community.
- On May 16, 2021, she took to Instagram to share photos and videos of herself protesting with many other Palestinians including Waseem Awawdeh amid the Israeli-Palestinian crisis. Awawdeh was caught on camera attacking Jewish man Joseph Borgen in New York City on May 20, 2021.