Bruton Parish Church
Duke of Gloucester Street at Palace Green
Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia
Bruton Parish, constructed 1712-15, is home to an active Episcopal congregation and has been in continuous use for over 300 years (1715); the east end was enlarged in 1752, the brick wall around the churchyard was added in 1754, and the tower and steeple were added in 1769. Williamsburg Historic District, both a National Historic Landmark (1960) and on the National Register of Historic Places (1966; 66000925), includes most of Colonial Williamsburg. In addition, Bruton Parish Church, George Wythe house, & Peyton Randolph house are separately listed on both; all are among the original 88 buildings existing when restoration of Williamsburg began in the 1920s. Pastor W.A.R. Goodwin was instrumental in getting John D. Rockefeller, Jr, involved in the restoration in 1920s, which was critically important to the mission. The white house on the same side of DOG Street as the church is James Geddy House, another of the 88 original buildings. The sign on the right is for the Hartwell Perry Tavern. This photo, along with the recent post of a horse-drawn carriage and fall color on Duke of Gloucester Street, is from a beautiful fall day in Williamsburg with granddaughter Isabella a few days before her 11th birthday.
Press "L" for larger image, on black.
Tagged: , virginia , williamsburg , colonial williamsburg , cw buildings , churches , colonial churches , episcopal churches , bruton parish church , cw original 88 , nrhp , national historic landmark , sign , cw signs , cw tavern signs , blue sky-white clouds , fall color , november 2016 , november , 2016 , canon24-70/4L